In 1986, the centre was established as a response to the needs of mentally and physically challenged children of the Vaal and surrounding areas. Parents of children living with disabilities came together and requested that the Lekoa Town council give them space for residential purposes in housing their children. They were given space at the Sebokeng Man’s Hostel. Working parents brought their children to the centre and requested those who were not employed to look after and care for their children and contributed to salaries and dietary needs of their children.
In 1996, stand 1242 in Zone 10, where a school building was planned, lay idle. The space was not suitable – it was too small to meet the requirements. Mr. Makhubu made arrangements with the Education Department and the Western Vaal Metropolitan substructure to utilize the space for mentally and physically challenged children. Stand 1242 was then granted to Lebohang Centre on the 30th of January 1997. A Trust was formed to erect, and register the property (IT.1962/97), and the Trust was registered as the Sebokeng Community Trust (section 21 company). The chairman of the board of Trustees was Mr B. Kheswa and the Donors were Mr. S. Mofokeng and Mr Bhutana Makhubu. The managers in 2007 included Mrs Thinane who was succeeded by Mr. Mollo in 2010 - 2014.
Currently Lebohang houses 40 children and has 28 staff (including the manager, administrator and nurse)